Thursday, December 13, 2012

Cough remedy

This morning on Facebook a friend of mine who supports healthy living and clean eating posted about how to tame a cough. Talk about good timing with that post. Since I now sound like a barking St. Bernard I figured it can't hurt to try something natural as almost all cough syrups on the market can't be taken if you have asthma. Her post said you should mix 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (not white vinegar), and 1/2 teaspoon of honey with water. The amount of water wasn't mentioned so I went with about a cup of water knowing I probably wouldn't be able to stand the taste of the mixture very much. I also doubled the apple cider vinegar and honey as it didn't seem like very much. As I expected the mixture doesn't taste all that great, but it isn't horrible either. Cough syrup tastes wayyyyyy worse.

So how does the odd mixture work? Not too bad, I don't sound like a St. Bernard anymore. Instead I sound more like a medium size dog. So the coughing sounds a little better and, I know this sounds gross but, I can actually feel the stuff in my lungs moving rather than sit there. So no, the homemade cough syrup didn't work perfectly, but I also didn't put chemicals from manufactured cough syrup into my body.

Next time you have an annoying unproductive cough, give the homemade mixture a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment