Friday, January 11, 2013

Need a couple of recipe ideas

Next month we have been invited to a family event to celebrate an anniversary. It's a potluck with the main course being lasagna. Sigh. I've come to terms that neither Carley or I will be able to eat that, or most likely any of the other dishes that will be brought to the meal. Both of my sisters in law always put cheese and pasta into things. This is how the Christmas meal went too, the only thing Carley could eat there was the turkey and bagged salad. I had some cheesy potatoes on top of those two choices because I can have dairy.

Back to the subject at hand... I'm looking for a dairy free, gluten free Italian dish that I can take. Being that we live an hour away it will be hard to keep warm unless it travels well or it's in a crockpot. Any ideas?

Oh and just so you know I can't find dairy free alternatives here like cheese.

3 comments:

  1. None of the stores carry vegan cheeses?
    Anyway, what about a simple anti pasta dish? You can do a plate of meats, and leave the cheese out of it..just add some nice olives, the stuffed ones are nice too. OR, what about some meatballs in a crockpot? You can do this with turkey meat if you don't want to use beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One store (I looked in many) carries vegetarian cheese (not vegan) but the first ingredient in it is milk protein. I chose not to buy it because she doesn't want any more hives. We have very limited food choices here. Shoot, I still can't find sushi in any of the deli's or even seaweed wrappers or wasabi paste to make my own. That's how far behind the times this area is.

    I gave your ideas to Carley and she thought the anit pasta dish sounded good so we'll do that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah...just now getting back to you.....sorry. lol Hope the dish worked out well...and I understand about the sushi thing, my daughter calls herself a flexiterian...she likes bacon too much to give it all up....lol....and she enjoys sushi, but we don't really trust the store bought kind. I have never made my own, do you have a good recip that you could share? Please? :) Thanks!

      Delete